Animal Hospital of Old Saybrook is a progressive, state-of-the-art veterinary medical hospital located in Old Saybrook, Connecticut looking to expand its practice. We are seeking a full time Veterinarian to join our team. Is that you?
Looking for a doctor with 2+ years’ experience, or internship training. Base salary starting at $90,000 + production bonus. Signing bonus of $3,000. Weekly schedule will be four 10-hour shifts, with a shift every other Saturday. Benefits include 10 days of paid time off and 10 paid sick days. Health insurance and dental insurance with generous employer contribution. CE, licenses, and other professional fees paid for by practice. 401k with 3% give regardless of employee participation. Potential for profit sharing to the right candidate.
Veterinarian will be responsible for performing basic surgeries on injured animals, treating wounds, spaying and neutering animals, and prescribing medicine. Advance surgical or diagnostic techniques are a positive, but not necessary. You’ll act as the point of contact for pet owners, whether it’s to treat illnesses and injuries or to advise on animal nutrition and general care.
· Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Examine animals and check their health status
· Advise pet owners on nutrition, preventive healthcare and general care
· Diagnose illnesses and determine the best treatment
· Treat and dress wounds of injured animals
· Perform dental surgery. Ophthalmic and orthopedic surgeries are a plus, but optional.
· Vaccinate animals to prevent diseases
· Spay and neuter cats and dogs as needed
· Prescribe medication
· Operate medical equipment used for treatment
· Educate pet owners on proper care for wounded animals
· Attend medical conferences and seminars
· Collaborate with other veterinarians for medical procedures
· Continue learning to stay up to date on best practices for medicine
· Conduct home visits occasionally, in case of emergency
· Update client records
This position works closely with the Vet Techs and is responsible for the performance management and hiring of the employees within that department.
· Animal areas may be humid, noisy, and odorous
· Exposure to pests such as fleas and ticks and other zoonotic diseases
· Possibility of being bitten or scratched
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a Veterinarian to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
The Veterinarian is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The Veterinarian must frequently lift and/or move up to 30 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time exempt position. The hospital is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and Saturday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The veterinarian will be responsible for four 10-hour shifts. This position will have weekday shifts and work every other Saturday.
Travel is not expected but may occasionally occur for educational/career development purposes.
Required Education and Experience
· Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) degree
· Work experience as a Veterinarian
· Experience conducting various types of surgeries, vaccinations and health checks on animals
· Knowledge of medical equipment (e.g. X-ray machines) and anesthesia procedures
· Problem-solving skills
· Excellent communication skills with the ability to explain medical terms and conditions using simple language
· Availability to take evening or weekend shifts in cases of emergency
· Patience and a love for animals
· Competitive Base Salary + Production Bonus
· Signing Bonus
· Potential Profit Sharing
· Health Insurance with generous employer
· 401(K) with 3% give regardless of participation
· Paid Time Off
· Paid Continuing Education + dedicated PTO to attend
· State License and DEA fees paid